I have managed to complete the 10th Civil War block.
My fabric choices this week are mostly sourced from the stack of pre-washing and ironing that I did last week (when I *should* have made the block), with the pink spots and plain coming from a project I am working on as part of my March Challenge.
I had seen some of the other blocks completed and liked having the stripes to frame the centre block, also the example block that Barbara showed had a fussy cut flower in the centre to remember Mary Lincoln's silk dresses and I really liked this sentiment. It became a challenge to find an appropriate flower and surrounding fabrics which worked with the stripe I had chosen (the only stripe in all the fabric I had washed). In the end I went with the selection you see here. A bit of a mish-mash, and the central flower is not one you would have seen in the 1860's, but still it's a flower. Unfortunately the block has ended up at 8 1/4" instead of the 8 1/2" it's supposed to be, so will have to remember that when it comes time to put them all together.
Now I'm only one block behind again, because of course it's a new week and we're now up to the 12th block, so I'd better hurry up and do the 11th.
Also this week I caught up on the Retro Nine Patch block. I finished block 2 the day before block 3 was released.
I had more success with the satin stitch on this one because I outlined first and then did the satin stitch. My little purple flower looks a big wobbly, but I guess it will just match the wobbly-ness of block 1! Block 3 is traced out and ready to go... but I've got a month to finish it so there is no rush just yet.
I found some time this week to get in a bit of free motion quilting practice so had a go at a meandering line/stippling type of thing. Here are my results:
Oh, and I've just finished the latest Birdie Stitches as well so I'll have to blog about that soon. I think today I will try and get some actual sewing done, rather than just reading/writing about it ;)