Monday, January 22, 2018

When is a t-shirt not a t-shirt?

When you cut it up and make a much better shaped top out of it!

Inspired by this YouTube video, I decided to have a go at hacking/upcycling some t-shirts.

In the video, the last shirt is made larger by adding batwing sleeves.  I had a really old t-shirt that was probably a little too small when I bought it (20 years ago) and was unlikely to ever fit my mum-body now!  But I couldn't get rid of it, it was a favourite.

I am always a little nervous about just cutting up things without a patterns, so I decided to try out the Halla Slim Dolman pattern.  I printed it, did my trusty FBA and then compared it to the shirt I was wearing (which was also a dolman style) and decided it would be big enough.  Couldn't be bothered with a muslin.

I cut open the side seams and removed the sleeves from the t-shirt as per the video, but it was still so wonky that I had to cut the sides off a bit as well. I really should remember to take before/progress shots!  You know how t-shirts always twist after several washes?  This one was no different and you can still see how the design has warped.  Anyway, after cutting off the sides, I laid the shirt over the dolman pattern and worked out the extra fabric I had to cut.  I used an old pair of leggings that were a similar weight/feel to the shirt fabric.  I was never going to match that faded black unless I trawled an op-shop.

In the end the shirt has come out a little tighter than I'd hoped, I think I forgot to account for the stretch (or lack thereof) in the shirt fabric, but I am happy with the overall result.  The neckline is still raw, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with it.  I don't think I want to leave it like this though as the old fabric is a little to delicate.



The second t-shirt I hacked was a birthday gift purchased at TeeTurtle.  I'd asked for a 3XL knowing that I wanted to do something more creative with it (I have a few more waiting too).  Following the success of my AmaZgnes shirts, I decided to use that pattern to shape this shirt better.

I cut up the side seams and removed the sleeves as before.  I then folding the shirt in half and placed the Agnes pattern over it.  I needed to insert a small triangle piece on the front underarm, and a triangle panels at the side seam as the t-shirt wasn't wide enough.  I maintained the original neckline and shoulder seams, but cut out the armhole/sideseam.  I then flipped the shirt over and repeated for the back.  Sewed it all back together, with the extra insert pieces, and now I had an awesome fitting t-shirt!  I guess it's not really a "T" shirt any more, but that's what I'm calling it.  This was also too long when I took the photo, but I have since shorted it a little.

Before
After

Triangle inserted at side seam

By retaining the original neckline, I didn't have the problem of losing some of the design, like some upcycle/refashions have, and it kept the look of a t-shirt, which is really what I was going for.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...