A while ago at Spotlight I bought a Bebe Fabric Roll which is 25 strips 2.5" wide. To my disappointment, when I opened the roll, the strips are cut 1/8" short at the selvedge edge. Luckily I had planned squares so it just meant I had to cut my squares out of the middle of the strips rather than the ends.
I decided to use the images from the fabric and create applique squares, and then some patchwork blocks to coordinate. I bought some fabric at the recent craft show to add a little extra colour and variety.
For the plain fabric, I just found a cotton poplin in the right shade. The poor quality of the other fabric deterred me from getting special quilting fabric. Also the fact that I couldn't find anything plain in the appropriate colour. Sometimes I regret living out here, so far away from good quilting shops!
This is the design so far:
I've managed to get enough time to myself to sew the blocks together, but I miscalculated when I cut the border strips so they've all got little tails on them. Nothing a roller cutter and square ruler can't fix.
I haven't decided what borders/bindings/backings I'm going to use yet but I usually get to that once I've finished the main part of the top. I'm usually a very organised and planning sort of person but my quilts seem to take shape along the way rather than being totally planned out in the beginning.