Friday, January 19, 2018

Scarf Lady

I always check the clearance table when visiting Spotlight, and one day I found these scarf panels. 
They were the end of the roll and printed off grain, but I liked them and for the price I thought it was worth playing with. When I got to the counter, there was a panel on the roll that had been cut crooked so was missing an edge, she gave it to me for 50c. So for $7.50 total I had almost 3 panels.
I had been planning some sort of hanky hem skirt or maybe loose fitting top/dress, but with the extra panel, I decided to cut a proper bodice.

I went back to my trusty Space Dress pattern. Because I'd made that out of stretch with zero ease, and I was now working with a woven, I added some room back in, but it turned out to be too big. I pinned it in and I ended up with zero ease again! I do like a firm fit in the bust.

I cut wide rectangular straps along the edge of the panel to create the stripe. The skirt is a double circle skirt, so a whole circle on the front and a whole circle on the back. Because the panels were printed crooked and I cut/sewed to the printing not the grain, the points of the skirt are uneven, but I don't think it matters, it all just gets lost in there.

After wearing the dress for a day, I've come to realise I need more ease around the belly. When I sit down the bodice rides up and feels a little tight. I also wish the bodice was about an inch longer, although I'm thinking I actually pulled the bodice up higher than intended when attaching the straps, so maybe I can just let the straps down a little.



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...