Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Welcome to Space

I've done a little bit of sewing since the new year, but first I wanted to talk to you about my Space Dress.

I had started working on pattern New Look 6299, doing a full bust adjustment, changing sleeves etc to make a dress in the winter.  Upon completing my first muslin, I discovered just how flattering I thought it was and how great it made me feel.  This dress is still not made as I haven't nutted out all the fitting issues, and it has now been put aside as it's very much a winter dress.

My daughter's birthday was in September and we go all out for parties.  This year was a space theme and we were all getting costumes.  I had decided I wanted a retro-futuristic space outfit, sort of along the lines of "The Jetsons".  I decided to use my New Look 6299 as the base.

First I redrafted it with zero ease in the bust, I was using a PVC fabric with a slight stretch and I like the bust area to be firm.  Then I made a new muslin and drew lines on it to make it 'strapless' shape.  I transferred these lines to the pattern and voila! I had a space dress pattern.  All I had to do to complete my desired look was cut a hi-lo hem and add rectangles for straps.  I also made a bolero top to go over it, but I can't recall which pattern that was now.

This dress has now become a bit of a starting base for things I've made since.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...