Monday, January 29, 2018

Getting married in Vegas...

Sort of..... more like "marrying a pattern to Vegas"

This post has been in draft for a while.  I was waiting for the photos.  I kept telling myself I would take them in the daytime, when my hair was done and I was actually "dressed".  Instead you, once again, get nighttime photos in my bedroom at the last minute.

I was excited when Little Ragamuffin released her Vegas Sundress pattern. I really loved the shape of it, although I wasn't sure how it would look on my belly-body.

Knowing that the Agnes fitted me well, I used that as a basis for making the pattern fit my bust and waist.  My end result was perhaps a little more loose than intended, but that's better than too tight.



The fabric was a 'special buy' knit off the clearance table so I really have no idea of what it is. It's very light and soft, and initially I thought it would be see-through.  The neckline is lower than I am used to of late, although a few years ago I would have been all about the neckline. The neckline combined with the lightness of the fabric made me feel a little exposed in the dress. I was wondering what to do to feel more comfortable.

I came up with the idea to make an overdress.  I had this black mesh fabric that I'd been dying to use for ages but couldn't think how.  I didn't want too many seams since it was a mesh and seams create solid lines, so I decided on a dolman overdress.  But then I also wanted flare in the skirt to match the Vegas, which could only be achieved with princess seams.  In the end I merged the dolman with the princess seams of the Vegas so that they sat right on the straps and aren't as noticeable.

I used the Halla Slim Fit Dolman, and I'd used it previously and knew it fitted.  I put my Vegas dress on under the Slim Dolman I had already made and marked with pins where the shoulder straps were.  I then marked this point on my dolman pattern.  Next I overlaid the Vegas sundress pattern and drew in the princess seam lines, making them meet up with the shoulder strap point.



I had thought about having a hi-lo hem on the overdress, just for a bit of interest.  When I got the fabric out though, I couldn't fit as much as I wanted. It's a little bit hard to see in the photo, but it's basically at my waist at the front, then does a sharp dive at the side seam to be long at the back.  What you see in the photo was basically ALL of my fabric in terms of length.  I still like it though, it creates a bit of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...