Sunday, February 11, 2018

Lovesick Bralette Tank Hack

I've been ogling Little Ragamuffin's Sweet and Lovely Dress since someone shared their version in a Facebook group.  I haven't tried it though because I have been worried how it would look on my body.

After my recent success with tops though, I finally thought I could do it some justice.

I decided to start with the Bralette Tank Top Hack before I ventured into a whole dress.  This uses the George & Ginger Lovesick Bralette pattern (which is free if you join their FB group), and then you add a bottom piece onto it to make the tank.  I'd already successfully made the bralette so knew I had the right size fitting well.

Jennifer uses the band pattern piece from the bra as a guide to make her 'body' piece, but she has a much slimmer physique than I do!  I decided to mash my trusty Agnes body with my Lovesick top to give me a bit more room around my tummy.  I wanted to do the front centre piece that Jennifer does on the Sweet and Lovely Dress, but I was worried how that might pull up the front of my tank because of my ample cleavage.  To work this all out, I put on my Lovesick Bralette, then my Agnes over the top.  I used pins to mark when the side band hit and where I wanted the centre front of the bralette to meet the body of the tank top.  Taking it off and transferring the markings to my Agnes pattern, I ended up with a curved shape at the top.  I then realised that my body piece was wider than the finished bralette piece.  I decided to add a little width to the bralette, since I wanted to wear it over a bra so it didn't need to be as snug.

On the Centre Front (left), you can see how I've curved the piece up to meet the bralette
My next problem was that I was intending to upcycle a dress, and the skirt wasn't quite wide enough to cut my body pieces out of.  I decided to reshape the sides so they were more in line with my Everyday Tee than the Agnes.  This probably looks better anyway, since I like to wear my tanks closer to my body, often as an under layer.

Pattern all sorted, I cut it out and followed Jennifer's instructions, and here is my upcycled Lovesick tank!


Now I'll just have to add the Sweet and Lovely dress to my ever increasing To-Do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...