Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Pattern Organisation

Following on from my post the other day, I'd like to share the pattern organisation database I use on my phone.

For those that haven't read the previous post, I use an Android App called Memento Database. Memento is a totally customisable database (library) App, so you can set it up however you would like. I have one library for patterns and one for fabric.

This blog post is about how my pattern database is set up, not specifically about how to use Memento. I've mostly worked it out as I went along or Googled, so if you would like specific instructions for anything, please comment below and I can try to answer your question.

The following screen shots show the fields I have set up:


Photo - this is usually the cover photo of the pattern. There is space for two photos so if the pattern has lots of options I take a photo of the line drawings from the pattern. For PDFs I am currently taking a photo of my computer screen when I have opened the PDF.  It's not ideal but it works for now.  I think if I wanted to go to the websites of the designers and download the images, I could add them into the app but that just sounds like too much work for me on my phone.

Pattern Company - obviously the name of the company/designer.  This field is set up to auto-complete, so when you start typing the first few letters it gives you options to choose from (if you have previously entered data).  You don't have to choose a Name from the list of options as it will create a new entry but doing some means that you run the risk of having two slightly different versions of the same thing if you're not careful

Here is the auto-completed pop-up for the Pattern Company

Pattern Number - This is labelled as 'number' because I started with paper patterns from the Big 4, but since I started entering PDF patterns I use it for the pattern name. It won't let me change the title as I have linked the database to Google Sheets, but you might be able to change it.

PDF - Just a tick box to indicate if the pattern is PDF or not

Sizes -  I enter all the sizes separated buy commas, so "14, 16, 18" or "S, M, L". Again this field is auto complete so as you go you'll build up many entries that you can select from.  If you need to enter something that is similar but not the same as an auto-complete option, you can select that option then edit it to add/remove sizes as needed.

Here is the auto-complete pop-up for sizes.
You end up with lots of entries/options, but it's easier enough to scroll and select what you want.

Photo - This photo field is for the back of the pattern envelope info. The size measurements, fabric requirements etc.  For PDFs I again take a photo of my computer screen whilst displaying the relevant information in the document.  The images come out looking a little funny because of the screen/light but I still find them readable for fabric qty etc.

Recipient - click on the arrow and a list pops up. You can select as many options as you like. This just helps when searching for patterns.



Categories - again a pop up list that you can select multiple options. 

Notes - free text field for any extra information. I sometimes find that PDF patterns don't tell you the fabric type in the same spot as the requirements, so it doesn't appear in the above photos. I just make a note of it here

Woven/Knit - tick boxes for making search easier.  I sometimes use the Group function to separate out patterns which use Knit or use Woven if I have a particular fabric in mind.

Projects - I make a note of what I've used the pattern for. This is what I use to keep track for my stash tally (see below)

Extra Photos - I added this field recently because a PDF pattern came with so many extras that I couldn't fit them all into the main photos.  In the free version, you can only add two photos to each photo field, but you can create as many photo fields as you'd like.

Here is a complete entry for a paper pattern


Here is a complete entry for a PDF pattern.  This is the one that required me to create the "extra photos" field!


Memento also has a pretty handy sorting and filtering ability that makes looking up an item easy. If you swipe left when on the database list, it will reveal the menu on the right side of the screen.  Here you can Sort, Group and Filter.

Whilst I mostly used the Group function for fabric, to search my patterns, I mostly make use of the Filter function to find what I'm looking for.

I have several filters set up to create tabs at the top based on the category of the pattern.  You can gently swipe left to reveal more off the right of the screen.


I then swipe left to access the filter option and select my recipient


And I am shown a list, in this instance, of dress patterns for women

You can also see at the bottom of the screen there is a count of the number of entries.  As you select different tabs at the top, the numbers change so it gives you a count of how many items in that category.  This is what I'm using to keep track of my Stash Tally for the year.  If I select the All tab, with No Filter, then group by Projects, that 'Empty value' group at the top tells me how many patterns I have that I've never used.


It has taken me some time to develop this database to its current state, but it's what I have found most useful for me.  It also took me quite a long time to enter everything.  I would do it in batches, and I still sometimes come across things that have been missed.  But this set-up allows me to sort/filter and group to quickly find patterns for a project, either based on what I want to make (skirt, pants, dress etc) or how I can use up a particular piece of fabric (this is when I group by knit/woven).

If you would like to see how I’ve set it up, I have shared my template, so you can search for it within the App rather than setting it up yourself!!  If you go to 'Add Library', choose 'Online Catalog', then search for 'sewing patterns', I'm there! (pinstripes).  I have not downloaded a template before, but I'm assuming once you do, you can edit the set-up to suit yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...