Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Year in Craft

Northside Makers are doing a Crafty Meme to wrap up the year.

I'm not a  Northside Makers member yet (I don't exactly live in the north), but I'm a follower of theirs and might come around to it in the new year.  At first I couldn't be bothered doing this meme as I don't have many followers, but then I realised that I should do it as much for my own sake as for anyone else's.

(and thanks to Margaret and Jenni for the link)

So here goes.....

1. In my twelve months of crafting, my crafty self made all these...
Knitted clowns, a toy cat, machine embroidered pin cushion and needle wallet, kimono baby quilt, machine embroidered applique Noah's Ark blankie, toy bags, felt chocolates, rag dolls, dice bag, felt teddy bear, summer dress, library bag, necklaces, christmas decorations, mini quilt wall-hanging, embroidered shirts, library bag and a chess quilt.  Plus all the trial and error projects I've got under way.


(WOW, didn't realise how much I'd done this year!)


2. If my year was a colour it would be...
I think there has been quite a lot of yellow/gold/orange in my mind this year... even though it has not been reflected in all the craft I've done.

3. This year I spent way too many craft hours...
Planning/thinking/dreaming of things to do without actually seeing any end results.  I need to find an idea and focus on it for a while before I get carried away with a new idea.


4. This year I wish I'd had more craft hours for...
Myself!  I've made lots of things for other people... and I love doing that, but sometimes it would be nice to have something that I put lots of love into which stays with me.  Most things I do for myself are rushed or experimenting, most of the "grand projects" I undertake get given away.


5. My proudest craft moment of the year was...
The look on the faces of the recipients of my kimono baby quilt.




6. My biggest craft disaster was...
Hmmm... hard to say.  I've got a lot of  'rejects' in my projects box, but they don't really count as disasters because it's all part of the design/pattern making process.  Oh, it was probably the jelly fish toy I tried to make.... but I still have hopes of turning it into a useful pattern!


7. This year I had stalls at/visited this many markets...
I went to one of the Northside Makers markets, we did Daylesfod markets one weekend, and the Werribee craft market.

8. My most enjoyable market was...
Definitely the Northside Maker's market.  So many nice things to look at, and so many things I could have bought if I had the money!!


9. My best handmade purchase/present/swap/acquisition was...
I can't think what I've obtained this year that is handmade... other than my christmas present which is a quillow, so I guess it would be that one.

10. After this year I swear I'll never again...
Over-commit myself for hand made christmas presents... nor leave them till the last minute (hopefully though, I'll never again be moving house two weeks before christmas, and getting carpet down 3 days before christmas).

11. Next year I'm determined to...
Have a stall at a craft market!!  Which means I have to get on with focusing on a few ideas rather than coming up with 5 new ideas per week.

And use up some of my fabric stash.... there are some great fabrics in there which will make wonderful things.

And set up somewhere to take better photos of my work too.


12. But I'll probably do this instead... 
Buy more fabric....


In other news, the scanner has been fixed (well actually the set up on my computer has been fixed), so I can actually finish the pattern for my last Christmas decoration.  I know it's a bit late now, but I should put it up then it's there for next year as well.

3 comments:

  1. I adore the pincushion and needle case! So witty, embroidering traditional needlecraft images onto modern shapes. LOVE IT!

    The recurring theme seems to be that everyone wishes they had more time to sew for themselves. Might have to institute a 'Sew For Yourself' month via Northside Makers in winter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Kimono baby quilt was rather gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing what you get upto next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen
    I really love that you have entered into the blog world. Thank-you for sharing your adventures with us, keep it up ... oh and ... here is a blog award!

    http://alittlebitofkaos.blogspot.com/2010/01/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...