Monday, January 17, 2011

Civil War block 2: North Star

I'm falling a little behind in my blogging, but now that holidays are over and guests have left, the house is returning to some sort of normal.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep up!

I've completed my second block of the Civil War quilt-along.
The fabrics used are from my yet to be completed music quilt (more blog updates are overdue there as well).  Whilst fussy cutting the centre square is in no way hard, I did find it difficult to select which image I should use for the centre.  If I was cutting a lot of squares I could have used all the children across the print, but since I was only doing one I had to pick just one scene.  In the end I settled on this one because as well as children, it gave me the music notes in the corner.

The black triangles were cut as squares and then cut in half diagonally to make the triangles.  I should have thought about it before I cut and twisted two of the squares 90 degrees so all my music note fabric was up the same way... a lesson for next time.

This block doesn't at all blend in with the first block but I guess that's part of the adventure.

The organiser of this has set up a Flickr account for everyone to post photos of their blocks, if you're interested you can check it out here.

I guess I'd better get started on block 3 now.  I've got the fabric selected.  This one is applique rather than piecing, so I can spend some time in front of the TV tracing out shapes and cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...