Monday, February 14, 2011

Civil War block 7: Log Cabin

This week's block was a nice easy one again.  I was getting a little worn out from all those little triangles!

I think my hardest problem with these blocks though is choosing the fabric!  I want to use fabric from projects that I'm working on at the moment, but my scraps and the colours/values available don't always suit the block design.

This week I used left overs from my Birdie Stitches BOM.  I really wanted to keep with the traditional light/dark division, but my fabric collection didn't really contain much in the way of 'light'.  I sort of achieved it with this fabric selection, I hope.  It's more visible if you squint, and it would probably be more obvious if I had a whole quilt of blocks.

I haven't done much log cabin before.  I  believe that my Swedish Wedding Cushions were my first go.  I'd really love to spend some more time exploring this block because it has so much possibility.  Last year I purchased The Ultimate Log Cabin Book and it contains loads of ideas.

The Log Cabin block this week is in honour of Abraham Lincoln's 202nd Birthday Anniversary.  Read more about life during the American Civil War on Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...