Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My first hexie!

I've been following the fun at The Inchy Hexagon Swap and seeing all the pretty hexagon flowers that people make.  I especially like some of the fussy cut ones that are created (but don't we all?).  I would love to get  involved in a hexie swap but felt I needed some experience first.  So here it is, my first hexie:

I used freezer paper as templates and I have to say I love that method! (although I'm yet to try any others).  With freezer paper, you trace your hexagon onto the matte side of the paper, without seam allowance, then cut it out and iron it onto the wrong side of the fabric.  It stitches in place so you can cut out your hexagon with approx 1/4" seam allowance, then fold the seam allowance over the edge of the freezer paper and baste them to each other at all the corners (but not through the paper).  All the while your little piece of paper stays in place!  Then you sew your hexagons together.  When you're done, you unpick the basting stitches, lift the edge of the freezer paper with your fingernail and pull it out gently.

Voila!  You have a hexagon flower.

Maybe when I've had a bit more experience I'll do a proper tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...